NZMS Student Travel Grants
One of the main activities of the NZMS is the provision of financial support to postgraduate students in mathematics in New Zealand. Towards this aim, the Society invites applications for Student Travel Grants from postgraduate students to support them presenting their research at conferences, attending workshops, and developing new collaborations.
NZMS Student Travel Grants are not intended to cover the full costs of attending a conference or workshop. Rather they are intended as a contribution towards these costs and to give students experience in applying for external funding. Typical grants for travel within NZ and Australia are in the range $200-$600. For travel further overseas, larger grants may be considered.
- F1 To be eligible, a student must be based at an institution in New Zealand and be active within the New Zealand mathematical community.
- F2 If possible, the student must present their work as a talk or poster at the event for which they are seeking funding. Students must acknowledge the receipt of an NZMS grant in their presentation.
- F3 The maximum amount of funding per student is $1000 per application. We may take the level of previous funding into account. Special circumstances, such as needing a larger room to accommodate children, may be part of the budget, and will be considered.
- F4 Applications must be made well in advance of travel (at least one month before departure, but the earlier the better). Retrospective applications will not be considered.
- F5 Students must write a short report detailing their travel and outputs/benefits as a result of the grant, within three months of their return. Such reports may be published in the NZMS Newsletter.
- F6 If the travel is cancelled, or part or all of the funding is no longer required, then the appropriate amount must be returned to the Society.
How to apply
Applications for Student Travel Grants can be made to the NZMS Council by sending the application form and required supporting documentation (detailed on application form) as a single pdf file to the NZMS Secretary:
Dr. Emily Harvey emily.harveyNZ@gmail.com
When to apply
Applications must be made well in advance of travel (at least one month before departure, but the earlier the better). Retrospective applications will not be considered.
The deadlines for 2017 Student Travel Grant applications are: 15 February, 15 May, 15 August, and 15 November. You will hear back from the Council within a month of the deadline.
Recent Student Travel Grants
NZMS Financial Assistance
The NZ Mathematical Society Council invites applications for financial assistance with the costs of mathematical research-related activity. Any research-related activity will be considered. For example: hosting mathematical visitors; organising conferences, workshops, or outreach activities; and conference attendance, including costs associated with family responsibilities.
Financial assistance is separated into the categories:
A relatively high priority will be given to applications involving contact between the mathematical communities of New Zealand and the islands of the South Pacific.
Research Grant: Non-student members of the NZ Mathematical Society.
Conference/Workshop Organisation: Organisers of NZ-based mathematical conferences and workshops.
South Pacific Fund: Researchers from the University of the South Pacific.
How to apply
Applications to the NZMS Council should be made using the application form. Completed application forms and supporting documentation should be sent as a single pdf file to the NZMS Secretary:
Dr Emily Harvey emily.harveyNZ@gmail.com
When to apply
Applications must be made well in advance. Retrospective applications will not be considered. The deadlines for 2017 applications are: 15 February, 15 May, 15 August, and 15 November. You will hear back from the Council within a month of the deadline.
Recent Financial Assistance awarded