Things to do in Christchurch:
- Wander around the downtown Re:Start Mall and Quake city. Any bus that goes to the Bus Interchange will get you into town, the purple line bus is the fastest option from the University.
- Take a one hour open top bus tour of Christchurch run by Hassle-free Tours, departing hourly from Rolleston Ave.
- Visit the Cardboard Cathedral and the Cathedral in the Square (the original Christchurch Cathedral destroyed in the 2011 earthquake). Catch the purple line bus from the University.
- Relax in the Botanical Gardens or take a guided tour. Again, catch the purple line bus from the University.
- Catch the purple line bus all the way to Sumner and explore the beach and shops.
- Explore Victoria Park. To get there, take a bus to the Bus Interchange, then change to the blue line bus, get off at the Sign of the Takahe and walk to the park.
- For other suggestions, check out the Christchurch visitor information website, Find:Chch and Neat Places.
- Campus maps can be found at www.canterbury.ac.nz/theuni/maps/, and include an interactive map, a printable pdf map and links to the UC Finder App (available on Google Play and the App Store).
- There are many maps of Christchurch available from the tourism websites listed above. And of course there's always Google.
- Buses run every few minutes from numerous stops around campus and can be viewed on this map by selecting University of Canterbury from the "By key location" drop-down list. The website http://www.metroinfo.co.nz has timetables, route maps and a journey planner for all bus routes in Christchurch.
- Three reliable taxi companies are Green Cabs, Blue Star and Gold Band. All three companies offer phone bookings, online bookings and have downloadable booking apps.